There are plenty of books that are great at marking World Meditation Day, an annual event observed on May 21st. It is a day dedicated to the practice of meditation and raising awareness about its benefits. People from around the world come together to meditate, promoting inner peace, mindfulness, and overall well-being.
Nonfiction books for World Meditation Day:
To mark the day and enhance your understanding of meditation, here are some nonfiction books specifically focused on the subject:
- 1. “The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation” by Thich Nhat Hanh. This book by renowned Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh introduces the concept of mindfulness and offers practical guidance on incorporating meditation into everyday life. Here are a list of book recommendations from the late monk Thich Nhat Hanh.
- 2. “Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life” by Jon Kabat-Zinn. Kabat-Zinn, a pioneer in bringing mindfulness to mainstream medicine, explores the transformative power of mindfulness and presents various meditation practices that can be applied in daily life.
- 3. “The Headspace Guide to Meditation and Mindfulness” by Andy Puddicombe. Puddicombe, the founder of the popular meditation app Headspace, provides a practical and accessible guide to meditation, explaining its benefits and offering techniques for beginners and experienced meditators alike.
- 4. “The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself” by Michael A. Singer. This book explores the nature of consciousness, self-awareness, and the process of transcending limitations through meditation. It offers insights on letting go of negative thoughts and emotions to experience inner freedom.
- 5. “Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation” by Sharon Salzberg. Salzberg, a renowned meditation teacher, presents a 28-day meditation program and shares her wisdom on the transformative effects of meditation, emphasizing self-compassion and cultivating a positive mindset. Check out her Sharon Salzberg’s book Real Love in one of our episodes.
- 6. “10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works” by Dan Harris. 10% Happier is a personal journey of news anchor Dan Harris, who found meditation as a tool to manage stress and improve well-being. It offers an engaging account of his experiences and demystifies meditation for sceptics.
Remember, these books provide various perspectives and approaches to meditation, so you can choose the ones that resonate with you and your meditation practice. Happy reading and meditating on World Meditation Day!
Here is De Mello Spirituality Center Director Don Joseph Goewey on Anthony De Mello’s posthumous book Stop Fixing Yourself.