International Non-Binary People’s Day takes place annually on 14 July each year and celebrates and raises awareness of non-binary people. This takes place during non-binary awareness week from Monday 10 July until Sunday 16 July 2023.
Non-binary is an umbrella term used to describe individuals whose gender identity does not exclusively align with the binary categories of male or female. Non-binary people may identify as having a gender identity that is outside of or in between the traditional male and female genders. They may experience their gender as fluid, or they may identify as a different gender altogether.
International Non-Binary People’s Day aims to promote visibility, acceptance, and understanding of non-binary individuals. It seeks to challenge the gender norms and expectations that society often imposes and advocate for inclusivity and respect for all gender identities. The day is an opportunity to acknowledge and affirm the diverse experiences and identities of non-binary people and support their rights and well-being.
The date, celebrated since 2012, was chosen as it falls between International Women’s Day on 8 March and International Men’s Day on 19 November. With that in mind, here are some great books to celebrate our friends.
Books for International Non-Binary People’s Day:
- 📚 Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe. Kobabe’s eloquent graphic novel depicts an intimate journey of self-discovery, revealing the struggles and joys of understanding non-binary, asexual identities in a binary world.
- 📚 Beyond the Gender Binary by Alok Vaid-Menon. Vaid-Menon boldly challenges societal norms and prejudices. Their book underscores the urgency to dismantle binary conceptions, while elucidating the complexity and fluidity of gender.
- 📚 In Their Shoes by Jamie Windust. Windust’s empowering memoir showcases their non-binary experience. Navigating societal norms, discrimination, and acceptance, it is an illuminating portrayal of gender nonconformity.
- 📚 Life Isn’t Binary: On Being Both, Beyond, and In-Between by Alex Iantaffi and Meg-John Barker. This enlightening guide delves into non-binary perspectives on identity, relationships, and mental health, offering transformative insights on non-binary and fluid gender experiences.
- 📚 Non-Binary Lives: An Anthology of Intersecting Identities edited by Jos Twist, Ben Vincent, Meg-John Barker, and Kat Gupta. This anthology presents diverse narratives from non-binary individuals, highlighting intersectionality. It explores various facets of identity, including race, religion, and disability, alongside gender.
- 📚 Dear Senthuran by Akwaeke Emezi. Emezi’s raw and emotional epistolary memoir captures their journey as a non-binary trans individual. Exploring identity, spirituality, and art, it redefines traditional narratives about selfhood.
Check out the episode with Gender Euphoria author Laura Kate Dale! And also the blog post Pride Month 2023: 7 empowering books to celebrate LGBTQ communities.